One of our servers running Tomcat as started experiencing an odd
problem.  Tomcat will not start, it is complaining about not being able
to find some classes.  The problem started shortly after applying some
updates using YAST.  The exception it throws is shown below.  We are
running Tomcat 4.1.24 on JDK 1.4.1-b21 on SUSE 8.  We have another
server with a very similar config that works perfectly (only difference
is the distribution it runs on, RH vs SUSE)  I have checked
CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME and they both point to the correct
locations.  I modified catalina.sh to display the CLASSPATH it uses when
starting catalina and included it as well.  There are a couple
references to this problem in the mailing list archives, but it was
never answered.

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/java
CATALINA_HOME=/opt/jakarta
CLASSPATH=/usr/lib/java/lib/tools.jar:/opt/jakarta/bin/bootstrap.jar

Any ideas?

ERROR reading /opt/jakarta/conf/server.xml
At Line 5 /Server/Listener/
className=org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener debug=0

Catalina.start: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: