From: "Longley, Andrew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 2:27 PM
Subject: Tomcat 4 losing session (may be related to Win XP)

Hi all,

I've come across a situation I can't figure out and I'm wondering if it
has to do with the fact that this is the first time we've installed
Tomcat on Windows XP Prof.

Symptom: Tomcat loses session.  If you set up a very simple two JSP
process where page 1 stuffs (setAttribute) something into the session,
and page 2 displays it, the value comes back as null

Tests: if I copy the two JSPs to the examples directory included in the
Tomcat distribution, the pages perform properly.  If I create my own
context and execute the pages from there, the getAttribute returns null.

I created the context by duplicating the context in the server.xml file
and pretty much just changing the codebase.

Other environment info: running behind Apache2 (latest), on port 8082
(http) and 8009 (AJP13) because Oracle Servlet Engine shows up on port
8080 (side note: anyone have info on how to get the flying pig to go
away when you've uninstalled the Oracle HTTP server???); JDK 1.4.*, and
this is Tomcat 4 (latest).

The exact same set up works fine on Windows 2003 and Windows 2000 Prof.
And this machine works fine as a client to the server running on any
other machine, so it's not a cookie issue I don't think.

Am I missing something obvious?  Could it be permission-related?
Something in the way the session data is stored on disk?  Sure would
appreciate any advice.

Andrew Longley
Senior Software Developer
MindFlow Technologies, Inc.