I do not get the same value back, and our app does not use jsessionid
currently.  If I install the pages on a server that works properly, I
get the same value back between page views.  On this server, I get
different values, which is consistent with losing session.  There is no
proxy in the way (all intranet) (that I know of; I'm not a network
engineer but I play one at work, and so I believe that the parallel
discussion about proxy servers does not pertain to my issue) (possible
that WinXP installs some sort of proxy server software like internet
connection sharing or something like that??)

To add weirdness to the issue, yesterday, the little two page app worked
properly if installed in the Tomcat examples directory on the
misbehaving server; today it does not.  I had modified the server.xml
file, and tried to change it back (from memory; I didn't make a big
change) but failed to resolve the problem.  I will do yet another clean
install and trace my steps carefully.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Andrew