It depends on JVM version, OS, and other factors such as position of the sun. (JK on the last one)

I know for HP at one time, -server was NOT recommended. That was a a "long time" ago, so now things may be different now. YMMV with different OS releases, etc.

The release notes, Google, and OS vendor notes need to be consulted to see what is the best combination.

-Tim

Harry Mantheakis wrote:

Hello Tim

You need to do it by setting the environment variable JVM_OPTS.

Thank you for telling me that.

For some, the -server option produces an
unstable server. (Ironic, heh?)

Oh dear... Can you point me to anything in respect of this?

I have looked at the official JVM documentation on this subject, and
obviously none of it suggest that setting the "-server" option produces an
unstable server (!)

I also read about this option here:

http://kano.net/javabench/#servervm

Again, no suggestion that it has a detrimental effect.