Yonatan Goraly wrote:
The exact execution time of that line of code is not very relevant, since the difference is between an interval I can't notice to an interval I can notice very well - should be at least a factor of x100.
I just finished installing RedHat 9 (32 bit), the performance is much better, and the CPU is working much less. I guess it was something related to the Mandrake version I had.
It still feels slower than what I am used to on Windows, but I have to make measurements in order to arrive at any conclusions.

You're using Opteron - that is 64-bit CPU. Why not compile kernel from the source for your desired platform?

Is there a JRE specifically for Opteron?

Nix.