From a style point of view - tomcat is not very strict on style. Thats not saying that the style is bad, but we concentrate on code quality, not programming style. But if a patch has bad programming style, hindering the code readability and intent, then someone will complain.

So in a nutshell, tomcat committers makes every attempt to ensure the code is readable, but its style may not be consistent.

IIRC, the projects which are most strict with respect to style is Maven and Avalon related projects.

-Tim

Antony Paul wrote:

Hi,
I am not questioning quality of opens source projects. My intention is
to learn from looking at the source code of open source projects. I want to
know whether it is good to learn from looking at the source code of this
kind of projects. I want to develop best coding practices and know how
things work and how to implement it. To learn it, the cheap way available
to me is looking at code written by some experts. I believe people who wrote
Tomcat,JSTL and other have godd knowledge of Java. Is there anything wrong
in doing such things ?