There is a known issue.  It appears that you must insure that Tomcat only
operates in a valid context. I have not faced this issue so I don't have any
suggestions, however, this may be helpful.

Here is a snippet from a past discussion on this issue:

/*
6.11 Misconfiguration Can Cause CPU-Bound Loop

If you misconfigure Tomcat 3.2 in a way that there is no valid context to
handle a request (such as removing the root context and then attempting a
request that should be handled by that context), Tomcat will enter a
CPU-bound loop instead of responding with a 404 error.
*/

Hope this helps,
Craig