Hello all,

Hopefully I picked a good list to bring this topic up on. There were several
candidates.

I have spent some time today attempting to perform the non-trival task of
configuring communication between the apache web server and the tomcat
servlet engine. This seems to be a fairly complicated process involving
quite a lot of configuration and some degree of black magic.

It occured to me that a simpler approch would be to simply have apache
forward requests at HTTP level to a list of slave servers in the form of
"Cant find this resource!! Can you??". Before apache returns a 404 error it
could consult some form of list and ask other servers on the network (tomcat
for instance ;o)) to attempt to find the resource via HTTP. I dont see a
reason why this would perform particually badly in the most common set up of
apache + tomcat.

Presumably there is a way to configure apache to do this already (if anyone
could point me to the write manaual page I would be grateful), but it doesnt
seem to be offered up a simple solution to a complex problem on the tomcat
integration pages.

My question... why is this solution not mentioned more often given the
number of "how do i configure mod_jk2??" results on google and would their
be any serious disadvantages with such an approch?

Thanks

Wesley Hall