Thank you Howard and Jim,

I will look into mod_proxy. Things seem a little more complicated because I
am attempted to integrate with the JBoss tomcat bundle. Obviously the
configuration is a little different here and most howto's require a little
bit more thinking about as to where to find the files etc...

Im not sure about using tomcat as a static content server. Apache has many
features that tomcat doesnt as it is designed for this task. It might solve
the problem, but the powers-that-be are quite keen on full integration.

Im not sure that servlets do require anything extra at HTTP level. Perhaps I
am missing something but due to the relative simplicity of HTTP and the fact
its stateless I would assume that the servlet container cant require
anything extra. From the browsers perspective it is requesting a static
resource, by name, from a domain.

The proxying route would have the added advantage of not having to
reconfigure mod_jk(2) everytime a new web app is added. The browser says
"Give me /index.jsp", apache says "I cant find index.jsp, but i know about
THIS http server (tomcat), that might", tomcat says "yup, i can do that for
you, here it is", apache says "Here you go... i found it eventually"... all
over HTTP.

It seems to make a lot of sense to me, but as you say, if this simple
solution has not been shouted about, it will mean there is a fundemental
flaw... lots of smarter guys than me working on this stuff =o)

Thanks again for your help!