Nearly all of my JSP files (including the examples that came with tomcat!) are not working --

each time I request them it gives me a 500 error that reads:

Internal Servlet Error:
javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/tools/javac/Main
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:399)
Root cause:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.compile(SunJavaCompiler.java:128)
When I start tomcat, it does include   c:\jdk1.3\lib\tools.jar   already, so I'm clueless as to what is wrong.
If anyone has had the same problem, please let me know.
(Also let me know if there are known problems with tomcat and win98, which is what i'm running on).