Brice Ruth wrote:

Remy Maucherat wrote:

Brice Ruth wrote:

OK, I'm not getting any closer with Tomcat 5. Using the "localWar"
attribute (and specifying a file:/// URL to my .WAR) - I was able to get
the Tomcat deploy task to work. Great. So, I then modified my "remove"
to use the "undeploy" task - tested that, works fine. Now, when I run my
deploy task again, it seems to do the double-init again (and throw
exceptions) Here's what I get:

[INFO] TilesPlugin - -Tiles definition factory loaded for module ''.
Jan 20, 2004 10:59:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer
remove
INFO: Removing web application at context path /fiskars.com
Jan 20, 2004 10:59:27 AM org.apache.catalina.logger.LoggerBase stop
INFO: unregistering logger
Catalina:type=Logger,path=/fiskars.com,host=localhost
Jan 20, 2004 10:59:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer
install
INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL
file:C:\Tomcat-5.0\conf\Catalina\localhost\fiskars.com.xml
Jan 20, 2004 10:59:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
resourcesStart
SEVERE: Cannot find message associated with key
standardContext.resourcesStart
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
C:\Tomcat-5.0\webapps\fiskars.com does not exist or is not a readable
directory

then (after the first stack trace):

Jan 20, 2004 10:59:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error in resourceStart()
Jan 20, 2004 10:59:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error getConfigured
Jan 20, 2004 10:59:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context startup failed due to previous errors
Jan 20, 2004 10:59:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Exception during cleanup after start failed
LifecycleException:  Container StandardContext[/fiskars.com] has not
been started

The [INFO] line for Tiles is the last line of my standard startup log
output - when this line hits, the app is finished starting.

Now, notice how the next line is talking about a remove ... what the
*heck* is going on here?!?

Respectfully, and frustrated,

When you undeploy, C:\Tomcat-5.0\conf\Catalina\localhost\fiskars.com.xml should be removed. At least this is what's intended.
I think you should post the task sequence so that this is reproduceable.

Yet another solution: you can create a .war in the host appBase and overwrite it to redeploy the webapp.

Thanks, Remy. Here's what I do:

- start Tomcat 5
- deploy WAR (localWar)
- undeploy WAR
- deploy WAR
*BANG*

If you don't post the task list, I can't help you.

I've worked around this for now by having "localWar" point to my project, which is structured as a valid deployment (unpacked WAR) - and just using the "reload" action, after doing an initial install.

I've noticed, however, that the temporary context.xml files don't get removed when I shut-down Tomcat 5. This seems like a bug, right?

No. The .xml should only be removed on undeploy.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat