Hi

Hmm as far as i know there is no other way...

The only thing i know you "could" do is the following:
Create a CatchAll-DNS entry which responses to *.mycompany.com
=> All requests to subdomains which are not in use will go to the default context.
From there you could redirect/forward the request to the apropriate context.

To get the requested hostname you can do:
String reqHost = request.getHeader("Host");
^^^ (which will contain: blah.mycompany.com if user typed: http://blah.mycompany.com)

(as far as i know - i do not have tested this).

greets,
mike

Kal Govindu wrote:

Hi all,

Our company has just started into Java based web applications. Our
current methodology for deploying to production is to setup a DNS like
say
firstapp.mycompany.com and define a <Host> entry in the server.xml with
aliases to respond to the new DNS. We do this purely for the capability
of typing http://firstapp.mycompany.com in a web browser and getting to
the application.

But this is kind of cumbersome and time consuming setup when ever we
deploy to production. As we have more applications this way we will end
up with several <Host>'s which does not seem like a good thing. Is there
a better way to do this?

Please help. Thanks
Kal