Im doing something (vaguely)similar using Apache2, mod_jk and mod_rewrite.
Im taking the 1st part of the address (http://1.2.3 - the '1') and using
it to determine what db to access. mod_rewrite lets you get v detailed
with parsing the incoming URL. Perhaps you could boil down your efforts
into some perl and let apache do the work for you rather than having to
maintain multiple independant server.xml files.

Just a notion.