Remy Maucherat wrote, On 2/5/2004 1:32 AM:

What I recommend with TC 5 is put your context declarations in /META-INF/context.xml, and use the manager to manage your webapps. If using external contexts, then it's the similar: either use the manager webapp or drop your context file in the right subdir of "conf" (and use the manager to undeploy).

Remy, this sums up how users are expected to manage contexts with TC5 quite nicely. Can you stick this comment in the server.xml so that unsuspecting users upgrading from TC4 aren't caught off guard by this? I briefly looked through the TC5 docs on the site and couldn't find any reference to this change in behavior there, either.

IMO, this change is is very important and should be noted somewhere prominent as a TC4-TC5 upgrade note/gotcha. It had me baffled for a while, too, now I modified my startup script to `rm -rf conf/Catalina` every time so I don't get caught with any webapps I forgot about as I am used to doing all my context management through the conf/server.xml.

This and the change in web-app reloading now causes requests to fail in between the shutdown-startup phase instead of blocking are two significant non-obvious changes in behavior of managing a TC server between TC4/5.

-Dave