Thanks a bunch for the response. Comments below.

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Howdy,

Thanks. BTW, why can't server.xml be reloaded? Here's part of your

commit:

Because many of the components defined/declared in server.xml don't have
restart support. There'd be significant code changes to support this.
And the downtime would be equivalent to a normal server restart, so
there's no advantage to reloading server.xml.

I would not expect that all parts of server.xml be restartable, just the Contexts.

note that "directory" is should be "directly". It might also be clearer
about *where* context elts should be placed.

Corrected/enhanced, thanks.

Glad to help!

Again, I think this is a bad way to configure software. "Everything in
one place" is the quite reasonable mantra espoused in _The Practical

I agree: that one place for your web application is your WAR. It should
be completely self-contained. I dislike putting anything in server.xml
for my webapp. It's not server.xml for all your webapp. But obviously
we disagree on that, and this is fine because tomcat is flexible enough
to support either way.

Is META-INF/context.xml a standard way to provide a default context in a war? Or is it tomcat specific?

Perhaps there is some technical limitation to reloading server.xml. but
I can't see it. Remy has said it's a "hack" but of course that doesn't
really say anything. You are just trading one hierarchical data
structure for another (directories for nested XML elts).

No, you're doing a lot more.

(I am looking into this but I can't get tomcat built, and no-one on the
dev list has replied to my build questions yet. When I have more time
tonight I'll try again.)

Building tomcat 5 is trivial. Just checkout the source and run the ant
file (default target). It will download all dependencies and build
everything for you. I do it routinely from a scratch, completely clean
environment, without any problems (it takes about 3-4 minutes on my
box). If you have problems post them here (in another thread).

I won't bother posting in another thread; essentially, I set base.path to a relative directory, and the build broke rather badly. That script is really cool otherwise.

Yoav Shapira

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.

Is this for real? :)

Cheers,
Josh