Ok... thanks (regarding the <icon>).

The correct reaction from tomcat... hmmm... not sure I know what you
mean here... are you talking in regards to the <icon> or the welcome
file list?

I'll just answer it in two parts,

1) The icon should be displayed for example in the title bar when the
webapp is active in some browser.  I've seen this somewhere on the
javasoft site.  Then I got that cute little penguin/triangle thing with
the hands and all...  I admit that this is not exactly on the top of my
priority list but more done out of curiosity.

2) With regards to the welcome files I want users to be able to go to
the URL http://some.host.somewhere/ and not to the URL
http://some.host.somewhere/servlet/com.decode.ips.webservice.controller.
IPSControllerServlet.  I think the reason for why I want that is pretty
obvious.  The only way I can get that is to create an index.htm file
that has this tag in the head section:
  <META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT="0;
URL=/servlet/com.decode.ips.webservice.controller.IPSControllerServlet">

But I would much rather that the server handled that and I could skip
the stupid index.htm file.  At all costs I do not want the user to get
the directory listing!

Thanks for your time,
        Stefan.