Sean,

I'm trying to grab the current session ID and the request parameter map from the current request and serialize them into a base64 string to pass to a PHP application. Problem is, I keep running into the following exception everytime I try to serialize anything imlementing the Map interface:

java.io.NotSerializableException: org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteWriter

If you're passing this to PHP, I'm guessing that you don't want to use serialization. (Unless PHP can de-serialize Java objects and I didn't know...)

I think you want to do your own type of 'serialization', something like this:

Map parameters = ...;
StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
for(Iterator i=parameters.entrySet().iterator(); i.hasNext(); )
{
        Map.Entry entry = (Map.Entry)i.next();

        ab.append(entry.getKey())
          .append('=')