My humble 2p worth...

In your rebuild, perhaps you might consider avoiding the built-in session
vars altogether. After getting caught with them in ASP a few years ago I
vowed to avoid them altogether. My latest JSP app implements pseudo-session
vars via a few classes and a db table, which takes the JSP session ID as the
primary key and uses a memo field to store a semi-colon separated list of
"session" values.

The advantages are:

1. Control: it's all my own code - any bugs/memory leaks are all my own ;-)
2. Scalability: sessions can use any server in the cluster as they all
reference the same db, and the JSessionID is kept in a cookie at the
browser.
3. Resilience: sessions persist as long as the user keeps the browser open,
and even survive a server re-boot.

The downsides:

1. Load: more calls to the db could produce a performance bottleneck on
heavily-loaded systems.

HTH

David

David Landy, IT Consultant, Business Intelligence
Somerfield/KwikSave Support Centre
Whitchurch, Bristol, UK. Tel: 0117 301 8977

"...Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is
that we are powerful beyond measure." - From A RETURN TO LOVE by
Marianne Williamson © 1992

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please preserve the
confidentiality of it and advise the sender immediately of any error in
transmission. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken, or
omitted to be taken, by an unauthorised recipient in reliance upon the
contents of this e-mail is prohibited. Somerfield cannot accept liability
for any damage which you may sustain as a result of software viruses so
please carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. In
replying to this e-mail you are granting the right for that reply to be
forwarded to any other individual within the business and also to be read by
others. Any views expressed by an individual within this message do not
necessarily reflect the views of Somerfield.  Somerfield reserves the right
to intercept, monitor and record communications for lawful business
purposes.