Just an update.
I included a file, that works great on my webapp that is already running on
an old system, and you can see the change I made, which allows the app to
run.  Not sure if this helps anyone.

package com.voast.vkey.utils;

import java.io.*;
import java.sql.*;
import javax.sql.*;
import javax.naming.*;

public class DBUtils {

   public static Connection getConnection () throws Exception {

      Connection con = null;
      /* Trying to figure this error out. --Temp comment--
      try {
         Context ctx = new InitialContext();
         if ( ctx == null ) {
            throw new Exception ("No Context");
         }
         DataSource ds;
         ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/VKEYDB");
         if ( ds != null ) {
            con = ds.getConnection ();
         }//end ds != null
      }//try
      catch ( Exception e ) {
         LoggerUtil.globalLog ("ERROR","exception occured: " +
                               e.toString() );
         throw (e);
      }//catch
      */
      try {
         Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();
         con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost/vkey",
                                         "<USER>","<PASSWORD>");
      }//try
      catch (Exception e) {
         LoggerUtil.globalLog ("DEBUG","exception occured: " +
                               e.toString() );
         throw (e);
      }//catch

      return con;