Thanks for the replies.  This is the process involved in my webapp:

At the bottom of my form I have:  <input type="hidden"
name="serialNumber" value="123456789">

The action of this form calls the following control jsp:

<%@ page import="com.beans.clients.Validator" %>

<jsp:useBean id="formValidator" class="com.beans.clients.Validator"
scope="session"/>
<% formValidator.reset(); %>
<jsp:setProperty name="formValidator" property="*"/>

<% if (formValidator.isValid()) {   %>

     <jsp:forward page="Verify.jsp"/>

<% } else {  %>

     <jsp:forward page="Retry.jsp"/>

<% } %>

If the form data is not valid it calls Retry.jsp which I have tried two
ways:
1) <input type="hidden" name="serialNumber"
value="<%=formValidator.getSerialNumber()%>">
2) <input type="hidden" name="serialNumber" value="123456789">

If the form data is completely valid then Verify.jsp is called.
Verify.jsp just retrieves the form data (not the serialNumber) and
displays it to the user.  Nothing can be changed on this screen and when
the user clicks submit the data is taken from the instance of
Validator.java and sent of for processing.  The user does have the
option to go back and make changes which brings them to the previous
page.

One thing to note.  On Retry.jsp up until yesterday I had the first way
in the jsp page.  I changed this yesterday to make sure it was hard
coded from all possible change points and so far since then no
transactions have crossed over - but it is still a little too early to
tell since these "crossings" were random and not happening everyday.

Thank you for taking a look.

Denise Mangano
Complus Data Innovations, Inc.
914-747-1200