From: "Jon Wingfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: Problem with UserTransaction reference within Servlet code.

> The answer's in the question ;)
> Tomcat is not a J2EE Server but an implementation of the Servlet
> Specification (which is but a part of the whole J2EE spec).
> Tomcat's JNDI lookups are in-process only.
>
> Need an open source J2EE container? Have a look at JBoss...
>
> Hassan Sajjad wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Can anyone help!
> >
> > Problem with UserTransaction reference within Servlet code.
> >
> > When you reference UserTransaction object in your Servlet Code, as from
J2EE Specification: The J2EE Product Provider is responsible for providing
an appropriate object as required ....

> > There's a code snippet.
> >
> > Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
> > UserTransaction tx =
(UserTransaction)initCtx.lookup("java:comp/UserTransaction");

> > This works fine on J2EE Impementation Servers but fails on Tomcat 4.1.3.
> >
> > Exception:
> >
> > javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name
javax.transaction.UserTransaction is not bound in this Context
> >         at
org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:811)
> >         at
org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:194)
> >         at
org.apache.naming.SelectorContext.lookup(SelectorContext.java:183)