Other potential causes:

- Programming errors of programmers that don't understand
  the impact of multi threaded programms in a servlet
  container on the scoping of variables.

- Caching of proxies between the browser and the server.
  Make shure that you set the headers of the response.
  http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/
  http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=377&page=2
  The real paranoic programmer attaches an unique id to
  each url that shall not be cached.