At 03:03 AM 5/11/2004 +0000, Bill Barker wrote:

By default, Tomcat will start maxThreads/2 threads incase it needs lots of
threads in a hurry. Almost all of them will be blocked, so there
generally
isn't that much OS overhead in creating them. However, if you set the
'maxSpareThreads' attribute on the connector, then you can keep Tomcat
down
to a relatively small number of threads unless it actually has to handle a
large number of requests.

Ok, so if my maxThreads is 1000, at startup there will be 500 threads created? I thought it just created the number in minSpareThreads and built on that, no? In the situation we're using Tomcat, there will be a large number of requests - for about the next week, as students get their grades - and then things will calm down somewhat. Our system is forever exceeding maxThreads, and all increasing that attribute does is make the system exceed it faster. That doesn't seem correct.

Lynn.