"Hollerman Geralyn M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Evidently, I'm misunderstanding something about the maxThreads attribute
on the
> HTTP <Connector>; I saw from the docs that in Tomcat 5.0.19, this is the
maximum
> number of request processing threads to be created by this connector. So,
what
> that said to me was that if I wanted to allow lots of requests, I ought to
make
> that number larger than the default, which the docs say is 200. I also
assumed
> that this attribute, maxThreads, is similar to the "maxProcessors"
attribute
> that was used in, for instance, Tomcat 4.0.4. When we were using Tomcat
4.0.4,
> we often got the message "No processor available, rejecting this
connection",
> and the way I was told to correct that error was to increase
maxProcessors, and
> this worked fine. But to correct another problem, we were told to upgrade
> 4.1.24, and then to 5.0.16.
>
> However, I have noticed that with maxThreads, if I increase the value, the
> number of threads I see on a Solaris 8 system grows quickly, like it's
trying to
> meet whatever limit I set; it's as if I make that value larger, thinking
that
> that increase is what Tomcat needs, the number of threads gets to that
limit
> quicker. This can't be right. What am I missing?

By default, Tomcat will start maxThreads/2 threads incase it needs lots of
threads in a hurry.  Almost all of them will be blocked, so there generally
isn't that much OS overhead in creating them.  However, if you set the
'maxSpareThreads' attribute on the connector, then you can keep Tomcat down
to a relatively small number of threads unless it actually has to handle a
large number of requests.