Hi Larry, as someone who has only been using tomcat (apart from the
deploy tool) since August and who has had to greatly improve my Java
skills since the same time...

I suggest the best way to learn is to get your hands dirty, so to speak.
Thoroughly read the provided Tomcat docs including any ReadMe files you
can get your hands on. Get you hands on any example server.xml files
that you can (there'll probably be some in your books and on the web).
As for Java, find some good books to teach you Java and JSPs. I found
Java a very steep learning curve at first. I have also found the
following Java site very useful (and the book that goes with it):
http://javagently.cs.up.ac.za/  and these pages:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/
I expect you'll find all the pages quoted by Nathan as being useful
also.

I've found the best way is to dive in and use them, preferably install
Suns Java compiler and Tomcat onto a system somewhere where they can't
do major harm if they go wrong (ie. not a server that's already in use!)
and just have a go.
I've had to do a lot of it on an up and running server but I don't
advise this!!

Anyway those are just some thoughts and suggestions that may or may not
work for you.

Hope it helps.
Adam.