Quoting Hector Adolfo Alonso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Tomcat gurus:
>    I've read carefully service.bat from Tomcat 5.0.19 and Apache Commons
> Daemon, and built a customized script for Windows 2000.
>    But service installation syntax changed in Tomcat 5.0.24. I could'n
> find any new explanation in Commons Daemon page. I've observed
> tomcat.exe has changed to tomcat5.exe too.
>    Can anybody send me any hint ?
>    I need customize the serice installation script.
>    Thanks in Advance.

When you says "service installation syntax changed in Tomcat 5.0.24", I'm not
quite sure what you mean.  You still just do...

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service install

The syntax of the service.bat file itself changed a bit, if that is what you
mean.  It should be relatively straightforward to customize.  Just follow the
pattern that is already there.  I customize the script myself.  Maybe that would
help.  I'm attaching it to this email renamed to .txt so it doesn't get filtered
out.

Jake

> Hector./

@echo off
if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" setlocal
rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
rem NT Service Install/Uninstall script
rem
rem Options
rem install                Install the service using Tomcat5 as service name.
rem                        Service is installed using default settings.
rem remove                 Remove the service from the System.
rem
rem name        (optional) If the second argument is present it is considered
rem                        to be new service name

rem
rem $Id: service.bat,v 1.5 2004/04/08 16:49:37 mturk Exp $
rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

rem Guess CATALINA_HOME if not defined
set CURRENT_DIR=%cd%
if not "%CATALINA_HOME%" == "" goto gotHome
set CATALINA_HOME=%cd%
if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe" goto okHome
rem CD to the upper dir
cd ..
set CATALINA_HOME=%cd%
:gotHome
if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe" goto okHome
echo The tomcat.exe was not found...
echo The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly.
echo This environment variable is needed to run this program
goto end
:okHome
if not "%CATALINA_BASE%" == "" goto gotBase
set CATALINA_BASE=%CATALINA_HOME%
:gotBase

set EXECUTABLE=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe

rem Set default Service name
set SERVICE_NAME=Tomcat5

if "%1" == "" goto displayUsage
if "%2" == "" goto setServiceName
set SERVICE_NAME=%2
:setServiceName
if %1 == install goto doInstall
if %1 == remove goto doRemove
echo Unknown parameter "%1"
:displayUsage
echo
echo Usage: service.bat install/remove [service_name]
goto end

:doRemove
rem Remove the service
"%EXECUTABLE%" //DS//%SERVICE_NAME%
echo The service '%SERVICE_NAME%' has been removed
goto end

:doInstall
rem Install the service
rem Use the environment variables as an exaple
rem Each command line option is prefixed with PR_

set PR_DISPLAYNAME=Apache Tomcat
set PR_DESCRIPTION=Apache Tomcat Server - http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat
set PR_INSTALL=%EXECUTABLE%
set PR_LOGPATH=%CATALINA_HOME%\logs
set PR_CLASSPATH=%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar;%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar
"%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Jvm auto --StartClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams start --StopParams stop
rem Clear the environment variables. They are not needed any more.
set PR_DISPLAYNAME=
set PR_DESCRIPTION=
set PR_INSTALL=
set PR_LOGPATH=
set PR_CLASSPATH=
rem Set extra parameters
"%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% --JvmOptions
"-Dcatalina.base=%CATALINA_BASE%;-Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME%;-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%\common\endorsed"
 --StartMode jvm --StopMode jvm
rem More extra parameters
set PR_STDOUTPUT=%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stdout.log
set PR_STDERROR=%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stderr.log
set PR_STARTPATH=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin
set PR_STOPPATH=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin
"%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% ++JvmOptions
"-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp;-Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true;-Xrs"
echo The service '%SERVICE_NAME%' has been installed

:end
cd %CURRENT_DIR%