The web.xml requirement changed between 4.24 and 4.29. Once I upgraded to
4.1.29, I needed to add web.xml to a remote directory that I had mapped as a
context otherwise that context would not start. Normally not a problem,
however I only had read access so I had to get the admin to create a WEB-INF
directory with a nearly empty web.xml. This had worked without a web.xml in
4.1.24, so I'm not sure which version actually changed the requirement.

I haven't tried 5.x, so I'm not sure if it requires web.xml or not.

Charlie