Presuming you have already created the application root, you should
have a subdirectory in the root called WEB-INF which contains the
web.xml file as well as one or both of two additional subdirs,
"classes" and "lib".  The servlet-class tags in web.xml should contain
the full classpath within either of those directories.  If, for
example, you have a hierarchical directory structure in classes, say
my/favorite/servlets, and a servlet named foo.class, the servlet-class
is my/favorite/servlets/foo.  If you simply have foo.class directly in
the classes directory, the servlet-class is simply foo.  If you're
using a jar file, again it's the full classpath within the jar file
that you need to declare within the servlet-class tag set.

Hope that helps.

-- Rob

PS: Download the servlet 2.2 spec java.sun.com.  It's a pdf file and
not a hard read.  Most of the generic servlet type questions I see on
the list, that is, those questions that are not actually tomcat
specific, are already answered right there.  In fact, without reading
that spec, if someone has only worked with tomcat, how would they even
know what's tomcat specific and what pertains to any and all 2.2
compliant servlet containers (including jrun, servlet-exec, etc)?

--On Thursday, March 08, 2001 07:58:59 AM -0800 Huiyuan Ma
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Rob Tanner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> --On Monday, March 05, 2001 11:34:13 AM -0500 "Brett
>> W. McCoy"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> > I think for your mapping you don't want that full
>> directory path for
>> > your url pattern.  The idea is that you don't want
>> to use that full
>> > path, but something simple that will get mapped
>> automagically to that
>> > path.  I think you just want
>> <url-pattern>nData</url-pattern> in
>> > there.
>> >

>> That probably won't work without a leading "/".  Try
>> this:
>>
>> <servlet-mapping>
>>     <servlet-name>nData</servlet-name>
>>     <url-pattern>/nData</url-pattern>
>> </servlet-mapping>
>

> I'm using a servlet but no jsp,so what is supposed to
> be put in the <servlet-class>   </servlet class>?
> Thanks.

> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]