Question regarding tomcat connectors to apache :

I've experimented with jk jk2 etc, but always found performance to be degraded noticably when using apache in front of tomcat with connectors, but with tomcat alone it's fine. I've done a reverse proxy from apache to tomcat and that flies, so have other people experience the same with connectors ?

I know connectors are good for load balancing, but connecting a single apache to a single tomcat performance wise, does it work ????

Pete.