AFAIK, JSP classes stick around as long as the parent classloader holds onto it. So once the parent classloader is defererenced, all the classes in that classloader can be garbage collected.

-Tim

Dale, Matt wrote:

Hi,

I have a question which may be a general java question but it relates to a problem
that we are seeing with a Tomcat application.

Do all loaded classes, including JSPs, get loaded into the permanent generation in the
heap?

And secondly, if these classes are reloaded, ie a JSP gets updated, do they overwrite
the existing class in the permanent generation or do they take up more space in the
heap.

The problem we are seeing it either "out of memory" errors followed by a crash or merely just a crash. The behaviour of the crash looks like it is stuck in garbage collection but we have not proved this. We are currently running jvm stat on the process to see if the crash coincides with the filling up of the permanent generation.