From: Tim Funk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 16 July 2004 16:10
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JSPs - Permanent Generation

AFAIK, JSP classes stick around as long as the parent classloader holds onto it. So once the parent classloader is defererenced, all the classes in that classloader can be garbage collected.

-Tim

Dale, Matt wrote:

Hi,

I have a question which may be a general java question but it relates to a problem
that we are seeing with a Tomcat application.

Do all loaded classes, including JSPs, get loaded into the permanent generation in the
heap?

And secondly, if these classes are reloaded, ie a JSP gets updated, do they overwrite
the existing class in the permanent generation or do they take up more space in the
heap.

The problem we are seeing it either "out of memory" errors followed by a crash or merely just a crash. The behaviour of the crash looks like it is stuck in garbage collection but we have not proved this. We are currently running jvm stat on the process to see if the crash coincides with the filling up of the permanent generation.

Any opinions expressed in this E-mail may be those of the individual and not
necessarily the company. This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient,
be advised that you have received this E-mail in error and that any use or copying is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error please notify the
beCogent postmaster at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the individual sender and
not beCogent Ltd. You must take full responsibility for virus checking this email and
any attachments.
Please note that the content of this email or any of its attachments may contain data
that falls within the scope of the Data Protection Acts and that you must ensure that
any handling or processing of such data by you is fully compliant with the terms and
provisions of the Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998.