Hi,
You can use Apache's mod_rewrite.  You can use Tomcat's balancer webapp.
You can use other tools to do tricks in this area.  There's no Tomcat
support for wildcard virtual hosts, and with the current code base it's
not trivial to write, as you've noted.  However, as always patches and
enhancements are welcome ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.