I am trying to port some code from another app server to tomcat. We
currently have custom URL protocols which are set using

URL.setURLStreamHandlerFactory()

java.io.IOException: Illegal URL: java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown
protocol: filecache
        at com.lodging.xsl.XSLManager.loadStyleSheet(XSLManager.java:188)
        at
com.lodging.xsl.XSLStylesheetCache.getStylesheet(XSLStylesheetCache.java:102)
        at
com.lodging.xsl.XSLManager.loadCachedStyleSheet(XSLManager.java:125)
        at com.lodging.xsl.XSLManager.getStyleSheet(XSLManager.java:77)
        at
reservations.CitywideAvailabilityXML.doPost(CitywideAvailabilityXML.java:1383)
        at
reservations.CitywideAvailabilityXML.doGet(CitywideAvailabilityXML.java:61)
        at
org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.serveRequest(InvokerServlet.java:419)
        at
org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.doGet(InvokerServlet.java:133)

Apparantly this can only be called once and in Tomcat
URL.setURLStreamHandlerFactory() is called during initialization.

Does anyone know how to override or extend this functionality in Tomcat?

Even a pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Bill