--- Bjørn T Johansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So the conclusion would be that BEA isn't worth the cost...
>
> And since I am used to using opensource, including Tomcat, then Tomcat seems to be
> the
> right way to go... (and maybe JBoss if we get that far...)
>
> Thanks for your replies... :)
>

> BTJ
>
> Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I would add a couple of minor points, as others have already covered the main ones.
> >
> > You say you're only using Weblogic's JSP container.  Tomcat's JSP container (known
> > as Jasper)
> is used not only by Tomcat, but by JBoss, JonAS, IBM's Websphere, and a number of
> other
> commercial products.  So by switching, you not only get a free solution (BEA is
> $$$$$ as others
> have noted), but one that's used by a huge customer base and with many support
> options.
> >
> > As QM noted, there's no official professional services provider for Tomcat, or
> > Apache in
> general.  The ASF cannot sanction such an "official" provider because of its legal
> formulation.
> However, there are a number of support companies which will do Apache, Tomcat, and
> Jasper.  Some
> of them, such as Covalent, have an excellent track record, numerous Fortune 1000
> customers, and
> 24x7 support.  That should be sufficient to CYA for management, which as someone
> mentioned is
> always a consideration.
> >
> > Yoav Shapira
> > Millennium Research Informatics

We are also looking to migrate all our apps from weblogic to tomcat. When you look at
the "real
world" TCO, tomcat is defintely the way to go. If you need better performance just
scale out
behind an IP load balancer or use Tomcat clustering.

Our main reason was BEA's Nazi licensing practices, development license costs, support
costs,
etc.... We are now down to only 1 app that use EJB's and it is getting ready to be
decommisioned.

I am also damn impressed in how far the Tomcat project has come in the recent years.
Support for
tomcat is as good if not better than BEA's support for weblogic, it best of all it's
free.

As far as JBoss goes, I heard a nasty rumor that JBoss might not be around much longer.

-rhugga