Hi,
If you tell the server to unpack your WAR, it does, but then it won't
remove the unpacked directory because you (or your web designers) may
have updated stuff in it.  So you have to "manually" remove this
unpacked directory.  If you keep the WAR packed then you don't need to
worry about this and can just deploy a new WAR.

In your scenario, a few thoughts come to mind:
- You could define a directory for uploads that is outside your docBase,
and write the things users upload there.  That way you can keep your WAR
packed.
- You could write the uploaded things into a database, rather than the
filesystem (whether it's a BLOB, CLOB, LONG RAW, or whatever depends on
your database and your requirements).
- If the "things" they upload need only stay around for the duration of
the application, and need not survive a server restart, you can write
them to your context's tempdir.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.