On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 11:58:29AM +0200, Roland Carlsson wrote:
: Well, since I can't find any way to configure the Admin to use anything but
: the Memory realm ( no way to change the realm class) so it seems like it's
: going to be hard to use it to administer the JDBCRealm.

Really?  I figure I'd have seen someone mention that before now, if that
were the case.  What Tomcat version do you use?

You could still manage JDBCRealm.  Grab a tool like RapidSQL or
SQuirreL SQL to directly manipulate the tables, or roll your own.
(-and perhaps donate it to Tomcat. ;) It's all Java.  Some apps have
their own "manager/admin" functionality, in which a person uses a
web-based interface to create users, reset passwords, etc.

: And about the reply to an old message, I was unaware of the mailinglist
: keeping track of messages that way so that if I changed the subject and
: body of a message it still could keep track of it. Just of curiosity, how
: do it do that?

It's not the list, it's SMTP itself. ;)  If your mailer lets you see
raw message headers, you'll notice a field called "In-Reply-To" on
follow-up messages.  Thread-aware mailers use that field to track
threads (conversations) because tracking by subject is unreliable.

So when you respond to an unrelated message, your post is harder to
find because it is embedded in another conversation.  If I had skipped
the original thread ("coercing AWT/image libraries to release
resources") I probably wouldn't have noticed yours, in which case I
wouldn't have answered.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net