Hi,

>"In any case, so what if the ImageIcon takes 30MB?"
>
>So what?  Right now, my Tomcat server is sitting taking up 24mb.  When
the
>thumbnail servlet activates, that will jump up to an ADDITIONAL 30mb.
If I
>attempt to create/load a bunch of thumbs on the fly, Tomcat comes close
>maxing its memory quota.  Even for those who aren't as anal-retentive
as
>me,
>it's still way too much memory to leave allocated until the next server
>restart.

Step back ;)  This memory is used.  It's not wasted.  It has a purpose.
It's not a memory leak.  If it were wasted or a leak, I'd agree with
you.

But it's plausible that given your technology choice of AWT's ImageIcon,
your memory quota is inadequate and needs to be revised.  54MB is
virtually nothing for server apps.  (If you're running Tomcat on J2ME or
a portable, I completely understand your concern, but then again in that
case you wouldn't be using this approach anyways).

Don't look at overall heap size as a measure of an app's quality.
Requiring more memory in order to ensure better performance is a typical
and usually good tradeoff.

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.