I personally have never tried environment variables. Do what Yoav
recommends. BTW, why do you need to use environemtn variables?

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: October 26, 2004 3:56 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Interesting discoveries about catalina GUI manager deploy
(5.0.28 and 5.0.29)

Hi,

>After I uploaded the war file, I found that this action not only
>uppacked war into the myapp directory with the context.xml in mata-inf
>directory, ALSO, it generated myapp.xml in
>C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.29\conf\Catalina\localhost

Funny, this is what I said would happen earlier today on this list on
another thread ;)

>This discovery is inconsistent with the JNDI doc says: either myapp.xml
>in C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.29\conf\Catalina\localhost
>or in meta-inf/context.xml.

It's not inconsistent at all.  Your can use either myapp.xml or
META-INF/context.xml to deploy your app.  If you use the latter Tomcat will
create myapp.xml from context.xml.

>Another question is: how do I get the JNDI enviroment variable value
>from the java program? still using ctx.lookup or other way.

All JNDI references should be lookup using the naming context.  If you're
using simple Environment variables, you don't need to use JNDI, you retrieve
them like normal environment entries in any Java program.

Yoav

sender.  Thank you.