looks like you are using the 5.0 docs rather than 5.5

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

 <Context ...>
  <Resource name="jdbc/EmployeeDB" auth="Container"
            type="javax.sql.DataSource" username="dbusername" password="dbpassword"
            driverClassName="org.hsql.jdbcDriver" url="jdbc:HypersonicSQL:database"
            maxActive="8" maxIdle="4"/>
</Context>

Allistair

QAS Ltd.