OK that's roughly what I thought.  But IME this does not switch things over
fast enough to count as a "hot failover".  Maybe I'm not aware of a premium
service that's available, but my experience has been that DNS updates don't
propagate fast enough for this.  There are often customers that cannot reach
the site after a DNS change for 24-48 hours, or even more in some cases.

IME the problem seems to be that some secondary DNSs (e.g. those provided by
some of your end users' ISPs) don't seem to respect TTL in the DNS records,
and so they keep stale records without checking for updates, even if you
specify a short TTL.  This is a problem at the best of times, let alone when
your main site has failed.  It seems to me that occasionally, some DNSs also
seem to miss changes in SOA, which can be disastrous if you move your DNS to
a new ISP.

As far as I can see, there is no way to get around these glitches because
the secondary DNSs are under the control of an ISP that you do not have a
relationship with....?  Or are the problems I'm describing a thing of the
past?