Hi again,

I have tried to setup a file appender now without success. When I restart
Tomcat it is clear that it does not wish to create the file I am specifying. I
am wondering if Tomcat really is initialising the logging subsystem from
placing log4j.properties in common/classes. I could be completely wrong and
have missed something?

log4j.rootLogger=debug, stdout, R
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n
log4j.appender.R.File=d:/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.4/logs/catalina.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina=DEBUG, R

Cheers! A.