That would be the last solution if i dont get any other better way of doing it... i tried with Character.forDigit(97, 2) hoping to get 'a' back but it returned 0... i'm not sure which radix does it expect as a 2nd argument.

btw Yang, thanks for quick response.

- nilesh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yang Xiao" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: off topic - how do i convert an int to char

make a hash or array?

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:34:15 -0500, Nilesh Bhattad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
folks,
sorry for posting this offtopic qns here.. but would someone plz help me out in converting an int value to char? my requirement is very simple. i'm looping thro a list and for each counter i need to get 'a', 'b' and so forth.

basically i need some conversion routine which will convert 0 to 'a', 1 to 'b', 2 to 'c' and so on.

again, i apologize for posting such a dumb qns.

- nilesh