On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 01:11:42AM -0000, Henrik Vendelbo wrote:
: Fedora Core 3, Tomcat 5.5.4 & Java 5 installed with rpm's

Any reason you used RPMs instead of raw tarballs/zipfiles?

I usually prefer RPMs, don't get me wrong -- but when it comes to Java
apps, I find RPMs overkill and too much of a hassle.

: And then based on working web apps, I moved some of the Tapestry jars into
: shared/lib.

Any reason you did this?
In my experience, using /shared/lib was more trouble than it's worth.

Read on:

: 2) Am I just stupid to attempt to use shared/lib rather than just sticking
: everything in the war file ?

"Stupid" is a harsh term in this case; but it's certainly preferable
that each webapp be a standalone, portable unit.

Some people use shared/lib or common/lib in the hopes of saving space,
but I'd rather sacrafice a few mb here and there if it makes it easier
for me to shuffle my app around. -that, and using container-wide
repositories for app-level JARs is asking for a headache when
applications' needs diverge.

: 3) Where can I find a list of the jar's present in server/lib commons/lib
: shared/lib in a fresh install ?

If you used the RPM:
        rpm -ql -p {RPM file} | egrep 'server/lib|common/lib'

or just grab the raw zip file:
        unzip -l {RPM file} | egrep 'server/lib|common/lib'

: 4) Is JMX tools to manage Tomcat the way forward ?

I suppose this is more a question for the developers; but it really
depends on what you mean by "manage."  If you're not doing anything
fancy, then the basic start/stop scripts should be fine. ;)

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com