On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:26:48AM -0600, epyonne wrote:
: Since I am using Outlook Express, I did not realize that I was attaching to
: someone else thread and I apologize for that. I am starting a new thread here
: and hopefully someone can help me.

It's got naught to do with your mailer, Outlook or otherwise -- it's in
how you send a message to the list.  Don't simply respond to another
message and change the subject; create a new message and put the Tomcat
list addy in the To: field.

Now, on to your question:

: I have been developing Java web application for my employer for a few years,
: but these are all running on our company's intranet only. Now someone is
: asking me to develop an eCommerce site. I don't know how to charge him. Can
: someone please give me some ideas of the going rate and what kind of
: contractual agreement I need? Is there anything else I need to watch out for?
:
: I am in the United States and I plan to use a commercial hosting company to
: host the site. It will cost around $30-40 a month.

You've already received a lot of great advice, so I won't repeat any of
that.

Just do yourself a favor or two:
1/ think twice about fixed-bid contracts.  It can take forever to reach
a firm, legally-supportable definition of "done" and you certainly don't
want your attorney fees to eat your profits. (That's not a stab at
attorneys, either; mine are fantastic, and their work helps me sleep at
night. ;)  The hourly scope also means you're less penalized for
underestimating how long the project will take (translation: scope
creep).

2/ Hammer out scope docs with the client and use that to set the hourly
rate.  You could also factor in the expected due date (charge more for a
rush job), convenience (cut them a break if it's all telocommute, since
you can work in your bunny slippers), etc.

2.5/ You'd do yourself a favor to negotiate an hourly rate + some
minimum number of hours paid up-front.  That makes it a little tougher
for someone to run out on you without paying. (Yes, it happens, and some
people do it because they know it's not worth your time + legal fees to
hunt them down.)

3/ You could spare yourself some hassle and let the client deal with the
hosting company.  You can help them get setup with one; but clearly
defining yourself as "the app architect/developer" gives you fewer
long-term, day-to-day support/maintenance ties to this app.

4/ You asked what sort of contract you'd need: see an attorney for this.
Their job is to take the plain-English of your agreement with the client
and turn it into legalese, then plug any loopholes.

5/ Your other question: "Is there anything else I need to watch out
for?"  Yes: everything. =) Welcome to freelancing.

The rest of the advice I've seen in this thread has been great.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com