Hi,
     Your book should be good as any.  Try the samples
out on your installed Tomcat, ie get your hands dirty,
try little steps.  There are jsp samples that came
with the Tomcat install, try fiddling with those.  Off
course this assumes you have an installed Tomcat.  I
suggest you have one installed if you have not yet.
Let the fun begin.

aka_sergio