Peter, I don't think Scott wants to modify every JSP in his
application.  Sounds like he has a lot!

Scott, the reason your filter isn't working is because the response
from your servlets is getting sent to the client before your filter
has a chance to add it's text to it (using the PrintWriter).

To have this work you need to "wrap" the original HttpServletResponse
object with your own.  You do this by writing your own object that
extends the HttpServletResponse interface.  This "custom" response
object is then passed to the doFilter() method of your filter class.
Your custom HttpServletResponse object needs to also implement it's
own output stream so that you can capture any output that any
downstream code adds to the response.  Once the doFilter() method
returns from the stack you can modify the output in your custom
object's output buffer any way you want.  Then you just send the
contents of that buffer to the original output stream.

This probably sounds pretty complicated.  It's late (for me) and I'm
tired.  Sorry.  Try doing some research on the
HttpServletResponseWrapper class.  It's a convenience class that
already implements the HttpServletResponse interface and implements
the methods of that interface (actually it just delegates the calls to
the underlying response object).  All you need to do is extend this
class and override the methods you need to do any custom work.  In
your case you'd extend the getOutputStream() method and return your
code's version of the output stream.

To give you an idea of how to do it, do a Google on Servlet filters
(try compression filters).  Somebody out there has probably written an
article and/or posted their code.  Your code would be similar in
nature.

Good luck!

Virtually,
Andre Van Klaveren