I didn't hear back from any one so I looked through the code. I couldn't find any sign of code that would provide this functionality, so I added the following before line 605 of jk_ajp_common.c. I recompiled and it seems to be working as intended so far.

if (d->status=500) {
        jk_log(l, JK_LOG_ERROR,
                "Tomcat server returned status=%d",d->status);
        JK_TRACE_EXIT(l);
        return JK_FALSE;
}

I may end up using a case statement and preventing apache from trying the next worker on bad request or something like that. Hope this helps some one else too.

-Dan Thiffault