On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 07:18, Pete Stevens wrote:
> > Consider the following Apache modules:
> > mod_headers
> > mod_expire
> > mod_deflate
> >
> > I've never seen a web application that wouldn't benefit from one or all
> > of these modules. And the performance improvements would likely more
> > than outweigh any overhead.
> >
> > If Tomcat provides any of the functionality of mod_headers, mod_expire,
> > or mod_deflate, it's news to me. So, why reinvent the wheel (e.g. w/ a
> > filter) when this functionality is available in Apache?
> >
> > I'm still unconvinced that running Apache in front of Tomcat isn't
> > almost always a good thing. But I'm listening if someone can convince me
> > otherwise.
>
> Configuring Tomcat is a challenge. Configuring Tomcat + mod_jk + apache is
> even more of a challenge (see the number of posts on this list alone!). The
> chance of you dropping a security screw-up into the more complicated setup is
> much higher than the simple set up.[*] Unless you really need the performance
> benefit of the above modules - and many many people don't - why go to the
> extra setup effort, and extra risk of making mistakes?

Every web application can benefit from compressing and caching static
resources. It decreases the number of connections your server must
handle. To not have caching, I think, is to ignore a best practice. Or
at the very least ignore the opportunity to improve the user experience
with faster response times. It's not that hard to integrate Apache w/
Tomcat, and I still benefits to this approach that standalone Tomcat
does not offer.

Mike
--
Merit Online Systems, Inc.