If you are not getting some communication exception when you change
the port number
to the wrong port, it tells me that your jndi.properties are being ignored.

As you pointed out, it's probably returning an instance of Tomcat readonly JNDI.

I suggest you load your jndi.properties explicitely use new
InitialContext(properties) constructor. This should for sure force it
to try to connect to the proper JNDI provider.

HTH,
NG.