Apache doesn't care about the existence of a jsp. There is one exception - default pages when / (or /stuff/) is requested. In that case - apache will look for index.jsp (Assuming that is a default page to be served) and then on seeing the existence of that file - pass the request onto tomcat.

I have had webapps where *.html is served by tomcat, so I had to create dummy index.html files so trcik apache into forwarding the request to tomcat. But there is also a JK option to forward the serving of directory requests to tomcat (but I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment)

-Tim

Charl Gerber wrote:

I used to precompile my JSP's (which worked great and
was a big time saver in testing), but since running
Tomcat 4.1.31 together with Apache, all sorts of weird
errors occurred. I remember reading somewhere that
Apache expected the actual jsp file, not the compiled
version. So I reverted back to *not* precompiling
JSP's and everything worked as expected.

Question now, obviously there is a first-time-compile
penalty per jsp, but once compiled, should performance
be the same? How about the overhead to check if the
.jsp file indeed matches the compiled version?

Has someone managed to get precompiled JSP's running
in combination with Apache?